Thinking about getting a sewing machine all your own? Here are a couple of things to look for when purchasing a new machine for a novice seamstress.
- make sure it is a regular adult size sewing machine. You will not want a child's learn to sew type of machine, anything in the $50 and below range is considered a child's learn to sew.
- Plan to spend about $75-$125. A machine in that price range will easily last you 5-7 years and do everything you will most likely need to do.
- Your machine should be able to do buttonholes and come with a zipper foot. As long as you are looking an adult sewing machine those two are taken care of!
- Make sure it uses universal bobbins. Otherwise they can be quite expensive! As long as you stay with a Brother or a Singer you will be able to purchase any extra supplies needed for your machine at Walmart, Joannes, or Hobby Lobby for a reasonable price. Any other names and you may have to purchase items for the specialty sewing stores.
- In this price range your bobbin will either be top loading or bottom loading, you may have to spend a couple dollars more to get the top loading like we have in class.
- If you like to shop at garage sales or Goodwill, you can usually find some nice sewing machines for a great price. One drawback is that they don't always have the owners manuals to go with them. No problem, that's what Google is for! They may also need a cleaning. No problem again! Bring it in to class and I'll show you how to clean it yourself!
- Below I've attached some links to sewing machines on Amazon.com. All of these machines would be a great place for you to start! If you have any questions, let me know!
|For $2 more, this one will seem similar to the machines we use in class. http://www.amazon.com/Brother-XL2600I-Affordable-25-Stitch-Free-Arm/dp/B000F7DPEQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1440971740&sr=1-1&keywords=sewing+machine|
|Bobbin is a little different than the ones we have in class, but still a great beginning machine! http://www.amazon.com/2259-Tradition-Free-Arm-19-Stitch-Machine/dp/B0051HJ6JS/ref=sr_1_11?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1440971740&sr=1-11&keywords=sewing+machine|
Thanks for a great week! I hope you're enjoying learning to sew as much as I'm enjoying teaching you!